Wednesday, June 10, 2009

On the Railroad Again

I can't imagine why anybody would be interested in this but it's fun and creates a sort of journal for me when dementia sets in. This Amtrak trip will not be nearly as long as my previous one but the technology has changed so much in two years it's amazing. Last time I was depending on the odd wifi site or dial in and generally only posted when not riding the train. This time I have an "Air card" from AT&T and have had good luck getting mail and web pages since leaving San Marcos, TX. Even in the depths of the East Texas Piney Woods I got pretty good service. I'm now in Southern Arkansas and service is more spotty but still getting out occasionally. We are just now coming into Malvern, AR. I have a strong five bar signal but my iPhone shows it to be AT&T's EDGE service rather than 3G. However it's good enough for some text.